Capacity Building of Spiritual, Personal & Identity Development and Inter-Cultural Understanding
During 2019-2020, the Capacity Building working group focused their efforts on fostering engagement across differences and sparking new dialogues around issues such as immigration. This included a trip to Ellis Island for students, staff, administrators, and faculty, which was free of charge to the campus community. This trip was postponed due to the emergence of COVID-19.
We are committed to building and fostering a community that values and cares for all its members and is willing to work inclusive of our intersecting identities to promote shared experience, skills and practices that support ever deepening levels of compassion, understanding and affirmation of one another.
Our role is to provide Vassar students, staff, faculty, and administrators with experiences, opportunities and skills needed to:
- Create a deeper sense of belonging so that we learn, live, work and interact with each other in meaningful ways rather than merely coexist.
- Practice courageous and compassionate engagement and dialogue on issues of personal, institutional, and social concern.
- Understand our personal and cultural commonalities and distinctions to cultivate respectful interactions and shared learning.
- Ensure that capacity building endures beyond this 9-semester initiative.
- Carollynn Costella, Co-ChairReference Librarian
- Jill Schneiderman, Co-ChairProfessor of Earth Science and Chair of Earth Science and Geography
- Elizabeth RandolphDirector of Alumnae/i Communications and Editor of the Vassar Quarterly
- Susan QuadeSenior Associate Director of Alumnae/i Education and Affinity Programs, Office of Alumnae/i Affairs and Development
- Kimberly Williams BrownAssistant Professor of Education
- Jessica CartelliLibrary Specialist
- Julia YuLibrary Specialist
- Shreya Suresh '21Student
- Eloudia Odamy '21Student
- Xade Wharton-Ali '22Student
- Sevine Clary '20Student
- Nahid Mahmud '21Student
- Deanna TouheyExecutive Assistant, Finance Department
- Vivika Sheppard '22Student
- Deanna TouheyExecutive Assistant, Finance
- Haru Sugishita '23Student